Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota
- Regular Full-Time
- # of Openings
(Hiring for our Mission Support Center located at 1817 Campbell St, Kansas City, MO 64108)
Reporting to the Employment Services Manager, the Employment Specialist develops, coordinates, and implements individualized employment plans with job seekers. These plans provide comprehensive, case management activities which include scheduling training, providing job search assistance, connecting with employers to locate open positions, and collaborating with community partners in order to access outside resources.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conducts intakes and attends planning sessions with participants as required.
- Completes all evaluations and assessments applicable to a participant’s program enrollment.
- Develops a written individual employment plan inclusive of developing work skills and behaviors to support employment, training, and retention goals.
- Reviews assessments, academic and medical records, resumes, and other pertinent information necessary to become familiar with a participant’s skills, abilities and interests.
- Interviews the participant, family, and/or referring partner (as needed) to gain additional knowledge.
- Assists participants in conducting self-directed job search assistance, completing career exploration activities, developing computer literacy skills, gaining access to a phone, email, copier & fax.
- Collaborates with team to conduct daily job searches & update job board with local area job openings available.
- Coordinates assessment site visits with participants and Skills Trainers, as needed.
- Provides case management and refers participants to benefits planning services.
- Provides job related individual and group training sessions, as needed.
- Offers supportive services and community referrals during emergency situations for participants, as needed.
- Maintains all client contact standards and enters participant information in the case management database on a daily basis; physical case files will be maintained as applicable.
- Understands a variety of funding sources and completes appropriate documentation.
- Submits timely and accurate documentation and billing information.
- Cross-trains on other mission related positions to serve as a back-up for the Skills Trainer or Training Facilitator.
- Regularly updates Employment Services Manager on participant issues and concerns.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of participant information at all times.
- Completes tasks in compliance with all company policies, procedures and legal requirements.
- All other duties as assigned by the Employment Services Manager.
This job operates in varied environments which may include store, warehouse, culinary, and office. Work environments will include indoor and outdoor locations with potential weather extremes. This role routinely operates office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is an active role. The employee must have the ability to communicate verbally and apply active listening skills, lift up to 25 pounds, bend and possibly stand for prolonged periods of time as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Travel
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Office hours are generally Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., however some flexibility of the schedule is permissible with supervisor approval. As a non-exempt position, occasional night-time or weekend work may be required. Occasional day-time travel to supported locations is required.
The Employment Specialist will be a proven leader with the following:
- Bachelor's degree in rehabilitation, psychology, communication, education, adult education, human resources, or related field. Some college or work related experience will be considered.
- Proven experience empowering job seekers to attain employment skills and placement goals.
- Ability to counsel and handle crisis situations effectively.
- A high degree of sensitivity towards all persons with or without different abilities/disadvantages.
- Ability to teach skills to small groups in a classroom setting.
- Working knowledge of internet search engines and resume writing.
- Working knowledge of the workforce, social services sectors and/or experience utilizing community resources.
- Strong background in developing and maintaining relationships between partner agencies (such as Voc. Rehab).
- Microsoft Office and Windows proficiency, typing ability.
- Basic understanding of legal requirements regarding employment (ADA, WOTC, etc.).
- Good time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Versatility and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Flexibility of work hours, schedule and willingness to cross-train.
- Effective management of processes and people; strong teamwork qualities.
- Effective, appropriate and professional communication and demeanor.
- Ability to recognize potential problems within processes and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Must have and maintain reliable transportation, clean MVR, valid license and insurance to transport participants and/or drive for company-related business.
Values and Competencies
- We allow our values to guide our actions:
- Lead: Everyone has value – Help them find it and celebrate it
- Grow: Learn constantly and strive continually to better ourselves
- Partner: Be good citizens, maximize the value of donations, and support sustainability
- Innovate: Always seek new and better ways to accomplish our mission
- One Agency: Work collaboratively to build a legacy from which future generations will benefit
- Every leader must demonstrate these competencies:
- Has a focus on our mission
- Does the right thing, acting with honor and integrity
- Develops self and others
- Owns results
All employees should be instilled with and demonstrate an appreciation of the value entrusted to us by the community through donated goods
Goodwill of Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas is an equal opportunity employer.
Goodwill of Western Missouri & Eastern Kansas has a rich, 120 year+ history. Everyone knows Goodwill for our thrift stores, but few know what Goodwill is really all about. The sale of unwanted items provides funds that stay local, helping us to support thousands of job seekers with barriers to employment. We believe in the Power of Work and are committed to helping people earn and keep jobs in the community. That’s why 90¢ of every dollar Goodwill spends goes directly into our mission, not into shareholders’ pockets.