Kansas City Southern Railway
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director Accounting - Subsidiary and Technical
at Kansas City Southern Railway
The Director of Accounting - Subsidiary and Technical is responsible for leading the Subsidiary Accounting team and ensure accurate accounting and timely reporting for all of the Company's various U.S., Mexican, and European subsidiaries. The Director manages all finance activities, including reporting, forecasting, and budgeting; and works directly with joint venture partners regarding operating matters for key subsidiaries. The Director is responsible for reviewing the condensed, consolidated financial statements, ensuring compliance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles and Securities and Exchange Commission reporting requirements. The Director supervises and reviews the annual R1 Report as well as other annually and quarterly reporting to be filed with U.S. Surface Transportation Board. The Director also supplements External Reporting by performing technical accounting research under U.S. GAAP, implementing new accounting pronouncements, and providing support for SEC, industry, and other U.S. governmental filings. In addition, the Director assists in the analysis of the Company’s foreign currency hedging strategy.
- Leads the Company’s Subsidiary Accounting team which is responsible for accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual subsidiary financial statements.
- Manages the finance activities, including reporting, forecasting, and budgeting, and work directly with joint venture partners regarding operating matters for key subsidiaries.
- Oversees the preparation of stand-alone financial statements and footnotes for the subsidiaries and work directly with external auditors on the financial statement audits, prepared under US GAAP and Luxembourg GAAP.
- Consolidates subsidiaries into the consolidated financial statements and complex inter-company transactions or restructuring.
- Reviews the condensed, consolidated financial statements, ensuring compliance with GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
- Supervises and reviews the preparation of the annual R1 Report as well as annually and quarterly reporting to be filed with U.S. Surface Transportation Board
- Performs technical accounting research in areas such as revenue, leasing, purchase accounting and others, under U.S. GAAP.
- Assists in the implementation of new accounting pronouncements and ensure compliance with technical accounting requirements for the Company with a focus on financing structures, joint venture accounting and consolidations, under U.S. GAAP.
- Coordinates with the Investor Relations Department with the review and tie-out of earnings release materials.
- Assists the Treasury Department in managing the Company’s foreign currency risk management providing monthly information to evaluate the headged positions.
- Leads complex and special projects including acquisition of new companies, restructuring transactions, business combinations, etc.
- Manages, develops and mentors professional staff.
- Leads or assists leaders of cross-functional teams and projects with the communication and coordination between the U.S. and KCSM or other Mexican companies.
- Exemplifies KCS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university – Accounting;
- Ten (10) year(s) – accounting and reporting or seven (7) years of Public Accounting and SEC reporting, including leading and managing complex projects or programs with outcome focused deliverables;
- Three (3) years of managerial experience;
- or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Specialized Knowledge & Skills:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- MBA and Railroad/transportation industry experience
The duties listed are representative of the job; however, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties a person may be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.