Northrop Grumman Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Electrical/ Controls Engineer
at Northrop Grumman Corporation
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is currently seeking a Principal Electrical/Controls Engineer within our Small Caliber Systems Manufacturing Engineering organization at the LCAAP in Independence, MO
In this role the candidate will drive improvement to our high speed manufacturing operations. These operations employ FANUC robotics systems, PLC systems, HMI's, vision systems, and machine networks. This role will help improve machine operation by working with operations to understand the process and help guide and mentor maintenance personnel. Sound troubleshooting skills, control system knowledge, and people skills are a must for this position.
The candidate will act as the responsible engineering staff member within one or more production area teams, working within the team to understand the overall production equipment, electrical and control system needs, and executing activities to drive improvement.
The ideal candidate will be capable of troubleshooting Allen Bradley 5000 Series PLC's and lower, understand Ladder Logic programming, have the ability to navigate the logic and make improvements. Further, they should be knowledgeable in today's NEC and NFPA electrical standards. Candidate should have the ability to navigate electrical/controls drawings to help work through and solve complex problems, easily adapt to change, and communicate solutions clearly to peers and stake holders. Further they should have the ability to learn on the fly and continuously look to incorporate new technology to drive improvements. The drive to take initiative and be a valuable asset is ideal.
• BS Degree in Electrical Engineering
• Industrial Controls Engineering/Technology with at least 5 years of demonstrated relevant field experience.
• Capable of troubleshooting industrial automation and control systems
• Safety Controllers
• Safety Systems
• Motor Control (Power Flex VFD's)
• Capable of troubleshooting Vision System Applications
• Capable of troubleshooting Servo/Motion Control systems
• Working knowledge of communications and networking applications and hardware.
• Capable of wiring control systems (Motor Controllers, Safety Circuits, Sensors, etc.)
• Ability to guide, mentor and train technicians
• Ability to work effectively in a multi-tasking team environment
• Ability to fully comprehend the process and operational functions of machinery equipment including mechanical functions
• Programming experience with Allen-Bradley 5000 series PLC platforms
• Experience using AutoCAD or AutoCAD Electrical
• Experiencing designing electrical and control panels and systems
• HMI Development (Allen Bradley Panel View)
• FANUC Robot programming experience (Teach pendant, programming points, and touching up points)
• Working knowledge of Wonder ware ArchestrA
• Vision application experience
o Experience developing and troubleshooting Cognex applications
o Experience developing and troubleshooting Keyence applications
• Working knowledge of NEC, NFPA, IEEE, IEC and other codes and standards
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.