Park Hill School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2019-20 Elementary School Counselor
at Park Hill School District
POSITION TITLE: School Counselor
QUALIFICATIONS: Must hold proper certification according to the
state of Missouri.
REPORTS TO: Principal and Director of Professional Studies
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 188 Days plus additional work days according to the Park Hill School District teacher agreement.
PARK HILL MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s Degree in School Counseling by an accredited institution
- Teaching experience preferred
- School Counseling experience preferred
- Knowledge of Missouri DESE School Counseling Curriculum
- Experience as a school counselor implementing the ASCA National Model
- Classroom experience teaching school counseling competencies
- One-three years’ experience as a school counselor
- One-three years’ experience as a teacher or knowledge and implementation of classroom management skills and lesson delivery
- Experience advocating for school counseling programs to all stakeholder groups
- Establishing professional relationships within the school and the school community to enhance student achievement
- Experience in the use of technology in research, school counseling program development, management, and delivery
- Actively involved in school community
- Leadership experience
- Participation and involvement in school counselor best-practice training at the local, state, and/or national level
- Ability to work with diverse populations and cultures
- Continued professional development could include: ASCA National Model, Differentiated Instruction, Understanding by Design, Response to Intervention, Positive Behavior Intervention Support, and other statewide initiatives
As a member of the School Counseling Department, the counselor is to provide and implement a school counseling program for students. The counselor provides activities to meet the needs of the students; provides support to other educational programs; and implements an evaluation system to determine impact of the school counseling program. These efforts support the counselor’s role of helping to meet the academic, career, and social needs of students by providing individual planning, responsive services, and school counseling curriculum.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implement the comprehensive school counseling curriculum
- Advise students through the development of personal plans of study (middle school and high school)
- Counsel small groups and individual students
- Consult with teachers, staff and parents regarding the developmental needs of students
- Refer to appropriate community resources in consultation with their parents
- Refer students and parents to appropriate community resources
- Coordinates, conducts, or participates in activities which contribute to the effective operation of the school
- Evaluates and revises the school counseling program
- Pursues professional growth
- Supporting the overall district’s educational program through general consultation activities and committee work.
- Implements the guidance and counseling curriculum: Conducts guidance and counseling learning activities in the classroom as planned in conjunction with school administration and teachers; consults with and/or is a resource person for teachers to incorporate guidance and counseling learning activities into the regular education curricula.
- Facilitates the development of educational plans and career exploration: Provides orientation activities for students new to the school; participates in orientation programs for parents and students; assists students in grade level transitions and into post-secondary opportunities (high school guidance and counseling program); informs students and their parents of test results and their implications for educational planning; provides resource and information to assist in career awareness and career exploration activities; assists students with the development, implementation, and revision (as needed) of Personal Plans of Study (middle-school and high school guidance and counseling program).
- Counsels small groups and individual students: Conducts structured, goal-oriented counseling sessions to meet the identified needs of individuals or groups of students. Session topics at the elementary level may include enhancing self-awareness and identity, and addressing problems in the areas of: academic motivation and achievement, behavior, socialization skills, family issues, substance abuse, and child abuse (emotional, physical, and sexual).
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Attend all meetings and training sessions as directed
- Coordinate and facilitate state testing procedures
- Assist administrators with the distribution and interpretation of standardized tests scores for students and parents
- Assist administration in coordinating counseling in crisis situations
- Participate in informational evening sessions for parents
- Attend IEP and 504 meetings as appropriate
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, dress, and appropriate professional manner for the work setting
- Demonstrates effective human relations and communication skills
- Adheres to good safety practices
- Ability to understand and adhere to all district rules, regulations, and policies
- All other duties as required or assigned.
Job Contact Information
Friday, May 10, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)