Truman Medical Centers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
PRN Resource Counselor I- Health Science District
at Truman Medical Centers
Truman Medical Centers, a two-hospital, 600-bed, not-for-profit healthcare system, is the largest and most comprehensive safety net healthcare provider in Jackson County and Kansas City, Mo. TMC serves as the primary teaching hospital for the University of Missouri-Kansas City Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Pharmacy.
Our Hospital Hill campus is located in the UMKC Health Sciences District: a premier academic health district engaging in cutting-edge biomedical research and entrepreneurship, delivering state-of-the science health care, and educating the next generation of health care professionals. Recognized as a critical area resource for advanced specialized healthcare, TMC is constantly working to deliver the best possible medical care for our patients. Quality, innovation, teamwork and attention to detail are at the heart of all we do. TMC’s tagline is: “Better. For Everyone.” It is a simple statement, but it has profound significance. It is what we stand for, it is the focus of our work, and it is our promise to our patients.
Serves as front-line representative for Truman Medical Center by interviewing patients and/or other sources to screen and obtain demographic and financial data which will access/link patients to clinical and financial systems of the hospital. Communicates health benefit regulations and patient financial obligation to responsible parties.
Responsibilities include: Gathers and records financial and insurance information takes referrals to appropriate financial resources. Have a general knowledge of TMC discount, Medicaid, Crime Victims Assistance and Social Security Disability programs to be able to assist patients in completing appropriate applications. Monitors and reconciles accounts with appropriate adjustments. Requires independent judgment and critical thinking skills related to completing applications to third party payers.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 6 months customer service experience
- Concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills to interview patients and families for purpose of gathering and exchanging information with other hospital staff members, physicians, third party payers and resource persons.
- 30 words per minute accuracy in typing.
- Basic computer skills.
- Basic Outlook with ability to open, write, send and receive communication via electronic email.
- Basic Word with ability to search, open, and write basic word documents.
- Basic office and communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology preferred.
- One year customer service experience with a preference of six months to one year in health care related position and/or six months to one year in state employment position through the Family Support Division.
- One year previous experience in a doctor/hospital environment preferred.